Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Jerry!


This post probably won't mean a lot to any of you (except maybe Cuz and Jess) because you haven't truly been invested in this 14 year story. However, Coach Finley, Coach Holladay, and about half the town of Lynn could appreciate it. This lovely little fellow is Jerry Vickery. He was the second love of my life... after Coach Finley of course. I fell head over heels for him when I was about 10... he was teacher's aid to the class above me, but I was friends with a lot of those girls so we shared a mutual affection for the hot 10th grader. IT was so bad in fact that Coach Holladay being the wonderful guy he is and always willing to spoil me, let me be the ball runner one night for the football team, just so I could be out there with #60. Fastforward to 7th grade. I was ever so excited to be going to high school because Jerry was a senior and I would get to pass him 7 times a day in the hall as we changed classes. He was so good to me. He entertained me and never treated me like the stupid tag-a-long that I probably was. He even saved me a seat on the varsity baketball bus one night when we had an away game. I got to sit with him all the way to Hackleburg. Good times. Anyway, he went off to the ARMY after graduation and of course I sent him mounds of letters, spritzed in whatever body spray I had at the time... I think it was Green Apple. I wasn't kidding when I said I was head over heels for him. Then in 10th or 11th grade I got the sad, sad news he'd gotten married. IT was only really funny because Coach Finley announced in the middle of history class that I would have to give it up. He was married... my dream had to be over. It was a great, really funny moment. All those years of being crazy about him and it seemed like everybody else had shared it with me. All of this comes about tonight because my dear Jerry is still serving our country. He's still married with 2 little girls. He's in his... I don't know how many this makes... tour to Iraq. A true American hero. AND two days ago he sent me a random email. Even though we've grown up, I still turn into a giddy little 10year old when I talk to him. He has that crazy way of making the day better and taking me back to a time that was really good. SO, I guess now you all can appreciate my pic and you have officially shared a rather embarrassing, rather hysterical part of my life. Keep him in your prayers. We want him home safe. :0)

3 comments:

  1. Wait Cuz, I forgot about the part where he threw me the green jolly ranchers from the Homecoming float. He picked me out of the crowd and threw them to me. The sad part - I KEPT THOSE JOLLY RANCHERS FOR YEARS!!! Seriously, there are still probably 12 year old Jolly Ranchers in a box in my room. bahahahahahaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read _Emma_ sometime... or maybe just watch "Clueless". :)

    ReplyDelete